.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Confession Time

It's Sunday, and I have a confession (food related) to make.

While I have been pimping out my favorite recipes and tricks for getting dinner on the table ... which in my case usually also means getting lunch to work with me ... I have just had a not-very-enthusiastic week in the kitchen and I just haven't really been practicing what I preached.

Bagging peach chutney in favor of peach crisp (with pre-made topping) was typical.

I barbequed a marinated flank steak last weekend ... only to not bring it to work for lunches, because I had neglected to provide myself with a vegetable side, unlike the week before, where I had made another round of the veggie salad I made on July 4 and ate cold steak slices and the veggie salad for lunch all week.

I did have a spectacular bowl of marinated tomato and goat cheese pasta, though, on Friday night.

I'm not sure how this coming week will turn out, as I got home late from church (being social and going out to lunch) and best friend called and wanted to go see a movie tonight, so I won't have a lot of time to cook.

I made a whole bunch of my favorite salad dressing (from the bread salad recipe) and plan to make Yet More Marinated Veggie Salad and some bread salad with all the tomatoes I have. And I bought a chicken, which I might be organized enough to cook either before I leave for the movie, or tomorrow morning.

"Antipasto" salad

Based on a recipe in Cooking Light Summer 2005

3 cups cauliflower florets (1 small head)
8 oz carrots (I use half a bag of the pre-peeled and quarter longways)
8 oz baby squash (cut pattypans in quarters)
1 lb green beans, topped, tailed, and cut in serving size pieces
12 oz jar marinated artichokes (you will have leftovers)
1 container cherry tomatoes
About 1 cup kalamata olives

Vinaigrette and chopped parsley

cook cauliflower and carrots in boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove and rinse in cool water, then toss with some of the artichoke hearts (start small and add more at the end) and vinaigrette. Boil the squash for one minute; add to the previous mixture. Boil the beans for one minute and soak in cool/ice water, then add.

Toss with tomatoes, olives, and parsley. (Add more artichoke hearts till the proportions look good to you.) Refrigerate until serving time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home